Sunday, April 02, 2006

cincinnati art galleries

  It is always great traveling to a new city and checking out the current art scene. Although it is tough to get a feel for the scene in a few pics, I think that cincinnati is a city much like detroit that has had its struggles with staying alive and rejuvenating but is pushing forward with new development and more artist opportunities. I think that sometimes a city's renewal begins with the artist community and its push to change or cause reflection within a community. Local art is definitely prevalent in the independent shops and cafes. 
Image hosting by Photobucket

It just so happened that the friday night that I was in cincinnati was the major gallery crawl night. Most of the galleries were on main street but a little bit out of the downtown area. The street appeared almost out of nowhere - in a neighborhood that one street over was a completely different feel and a little run down. This small gallery The Deogracias Lerma Gallery had a photography exhibit. While sometimes I run from photography (not really but like I have said, I find it sometimes difficult to get into) I found this quaint opening interesting. Strange shots of horses...not just typical pretty pony shots but humorous commentary with horses posing as models. The artist is local - Roman Comer...and this was the first time I actually got questioned and told not to photograph the work! I told them that it was for a detroit blog and they kind of seem confused so I decided to leave after taking a cookie:)
Image hosting by Photobucket


Image hosting by Photobucket

Publico is my favorite gallery space! The gallery is linked to the contemporary museum and the art academy of cincinnati - which makes for awesome shows and is run by a collective (think CAID or Gallery Project). Two brothers started the space and have since let others on board. They show local kids as well as other international, national and regional talent. In the gallery nothing is ever for sale: I am still uncertain to how they maintain the space - although I think they may live in the above floors. This alternative gallery seems to be pushing the boundaries and setting an example for the gallery district.

Image hosting by Photobucket

view as you enter Publico - old wood floors and hanging ladders on the wall.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket
This show featured artist aaron delamatre
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket
These small colorful paintings were at 1305 Gallery and the show was called "wu-wei 150 small paintings" by matthew miller-novak
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket
The paintings were actually collages of under-the-sea imagery with dollops of paint here and there.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket
This was main street where most of the galleries were. And when I say "most"  I mean about 5 real galleries and then some others that combined art and books and vintage and cafe....
Image hosting by Photobucket
This new gallery downtown, Nicholas Gallery was having their first solo show opening. Although I did not care for the work by Tony Dotson, the owners were super nice and kept offering wine and food. They renovated the space completely and from the pictures shown they did an awesome job! They seemed optimistic about the art scene and hope that other galleries follow into the downtown area.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.

I'm originally from Cincinnati, but have spent the last 30 years in NYC. I'm a full time painter. I've also shown a lot in Japan and Cincinnati.

I have on-going interest in Cincinnati and have been showing there at Base Gallery (also on Main Street) for the last 15 months (a few pieces on one wall - sometimes with writings or cartoons) and was actually in town for their last Final Friday. I was just doing a google search for Publico, as I was also impressed with the space, and found your blog.

It was cool to see what you saw and felt - having just been there myself, and seeing and feeling much the same, as it was a fresh experience for me also, as I don't personally get down there a lot.

I think Cincinnati has HUGE potential. I think almost any sizable city does - if all the pieces would only work together - galleries, museum, media, artists, collectors.

Check out my work some time. I'm disappointedf you didn't show Base or my stuff - but then all artists are always looking for greater audience.

Tim Folzenlogen
www.timfolzenlogen.com

10:47 AM  
Blogger Lily Mulberry said...

I'm the director of 1305 Gallery on Main St., which is featuring the show "wu-wei" this month. I just wanted to voice my appreciation for your posts about Cincinnati art spaces, and mention that I feel Detroit and Cincinnati are similar cities with similar struggles.
I feel it would be beneficial to Cincinnati and Detroit to create a more working relationship between different artists and galleries in both cities. There is certainly a regional aesthetic at work for both locations. The galleries that you posted would all be good resources for an exchange.
By the way, I'm the one in the picture in the white shirt talking to the two women.

Thanks again!

Lily Mulberry
1305 Gallery
1305 Main St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
513.374.5618
gallery1305@hotmail.com

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home