Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Dave Muller

One really great artist that I forgot to feature from my art trip to NY is Dave Muller - his first exhibition at Gladstone Gallery.
Image hosting by Photobucket
My first exposure to Muller's works was in the 2004 Whitney Biennial - which I remember being quite amazed at the time.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Muller, a DJ and musician, maps his ongoing relationships with the past, present and future of music, using record collections, musical taxonomies, and set-lists as inspiration for portraits and cultural critiques. This exhibit was a giant mural timeline that extended around the gallery with framed prints that interrupted the space.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket
Muller draws the history of music's ups and downs in terms of mountains and valley, forests and deserts. His timeline doesn't attempt to be a narrative on music, but instead one that exists as a personal vision of shared popular culture.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

This guy would have been one of my pics for the first MOCAD exhibit!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yawn

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice try Ann, but the work leaves me sleepy too. In fact, I find much of contemporary art to be a wonderful cure for insomnia. For those not familiar with the erudite and irreverent Roger Kimball, try this interview for a wake up call:

www.intellectualconservative.com/
article3544.html

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey anonymous,
why not get your own blog and show us are you think is good instead of just pissing on everything?

I like this work. then again, I have seen it in person and I think the immersion experinence might be part of the appeal. standing amngst the work, you feel like you're inside the history of music and looking at it from the record player's perspective.

11:01 AM  
Blogger John Azoni said...

I don't see this as boring at all. I see it as something fresh. Kind of reminds me of the Basquiat's Miles Davis inspired pieces where he just did like a discography type thing of a miles davis album. At least I'm pretty sure it was miles davis.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home