Thursday, March 30, 2006

Posner Gallery

I decided to check out Posner Gallery on my lunch break yesterday...and the word on the street is that the newly opened gallery in Birmingham's railroad district is in some trouble and could close if this art economy doesn't pick up! Whoever I speak to in the gallery business seems to be suffering now more than ever. Now is the time to buy art and support local galleries! I find that artists seem to be collecting more art from their peers than collectors who take notice and attend galleries. Just think....if each collector or person with some saved cash supported the arts in this city...maybe galleries like Posner could stay in business - at least till MOCAD hopefully draws attention to local arts and puts it on the same status as outsider art.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket
detroit artist - nancy thayer
Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

?? thats like saying "Shop a k-mart or they will go out of business"...that’s tough shit, but if stinky crappy k-mart sold what i wanted i'd shop there. My wife and I have bought over $6000 worth of art last year (not kincade shit either), if these galleries showed what we like, we would buy. Untill then, i'm not going to spend there just for the sake of supporting their poor business decisions.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon,

I agree with your basic premise, but I don't think you read this post fully. ann is not saying everyone should buy art at posner. to use your analogy, she's saying, hey, if you need toilet paper, why not take a look at a local shopping mart (local galleries) before you head to wal-mart (catalogs/NY).

posner stocks art that some local people might be looking for, and those people should check it out before/along with checking out non-local galleries/art dealers.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with what anon is saying. I'm tired of hearing a lot of people complain about the lack of support of local artists from local collectors and/or the closing of galleries. Buying artwork is an investment and I don't blame local art collectors for buying artwork from artists outside of Detroit. The work in this show and most work being shown around town perhaps may be what some local collectors might be looking for (although I doubt it since most work being shown in Detorit is really bad) but in terms of the work being a good investment and the likelihood of the artist achieving success outside of Detroit is very slim. For the outrageous price tags that local artists put on their mediocre work I would pass them up and spend my money on artwork that I knew would be a good investment as well as something I would enjoy looking at day after day.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home