Saturday, March 10, 2007

SECA SFMOMA

I am nearing the end of the sanfran arts coverage - start saying goodbye to hills and hidden galleries!
SFMOMA offers something similar to what Chicago's MCA museum has: 12x12 - local artists on display. This exhibition curated by Tara McDowell (curatorial associate, painting and sculpture SFMOMA) is a smart selection of current art practice: "green art", re-appropriation, sparkles and 80's colors, gaudiness, reinterpretation of decay, simplification and, of course, an undertone of humor.



Kota Ezawa
Animates movie and news segments...reminds me of Julian Opie.
Mitzi Pederson
Pederson's sculptures were suspended weightlessly with mixed materials like concrete blocks, light balsa wood cantilevered arms and colored cellophane that cast glowing beams onto the walls. Her pieces caught my attention immediately and I still have a piece in my mind from the show that I can't shake....too bad for the "no photography" in the museum.



Leslie Shows
Futuristic, expressionistic, mixed media landscape painting. It feels very much Cranbrook like in subject matter but lacking in the colors. I am a sucker for painting like this although sometimes this style starts to feel like a trendy movement. It is always interesting though when viewing works that have similarities to your own art. I find that I can most identify with painting and drawing usually but it is works that are far different in materials and execution yet still have similar elements, underlying tone or an inquisitive playfulness that attract me.


Be sure to check out the artist links!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to know what you mean when you say "this stye starts to feel like a trendy movement."

5:26 PM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

art like this:
http://www.artnet.com/artwork/424629553/653/jacob-feige-orange-plane.html

http://www.canadanewyork.com/artist/rosson_crow/

http://www.lombard-freid.com/home.htm

I am not saying that it is bad...I happen to like this work but I do think we will be able to look back and identify art of this movement happening in the 00's.
landscape re-interpreted...a new form of abstract expressionist work with a focus on imaginary landscape.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree this is a trend of the 00's. Seems particularly prominent in NY and the West Coast. Thanks for the post.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home