Monday, March 05, 2007

sanfran galleries...


Wait, did I get lost in an office building?.....no, that's just where the majority of the galleries are in sanfran! There isn't a street, which I was surprised, that they line up on with open windows like chelsea but instead the galleries are located in the busiest part of downtown almost hidden! I guess you really have to know where the galleries are in sanfran: there is no stumbling into them by accident - be it Luggage Store, these galleries or even Silverman Gallery (post to come). In some ways sanfran is similar to detroit in that there is money there, absolutely but it seems that collectors still travel to LA, NY or Europe to buy. There seems at least to be more artists being shown from different parts of the nation and like LA, sanfran likes to support CA artists.



Paul Mullins @ Heather Marx





Jacob Dahlgren @ Steven Wolf Fine Arts



Hiroshi Sugimoto @ Fraenkel



Masami Teraoka @ Catharine Clark

...I would say about 1/3 of the galleries in the building were to my liking...the rest got to be more like galleries for interior decorators to browse (above).



Ariel Erestingcol @ Togonon





6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann,

Thanks for posting some pictures of Ariel Erestincol's work. I haven't seen him or his work since grad school!

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tend to think there's substantially more money in SanFran than in Detroit.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing the painting of the OKC bombing (Fed building). It brings back some crazy memories of my last year in college there. The explosion woke me up that morning.

I like how this image has been reinterpreted as well as some of the other TV related images.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much education and discriminating taste typically keeps me reserved, even when I see something good. However, this guy's work (can't pronounce his last name which probably means he'll be very famous) is extraordinary. There, I said it.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this guy is rad...

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a review on his solo exhibition in the sept edition of Art in America, by Mark Van Proyen..
It's good.

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home