Wednesday, April 26, 2006

glass month

I decided to check out one of the most nationally known glass gallery Habitat in light of michigan's glass month. I have to admit to not knowing a whole bunch about glass work and I certainly don't understand the market because pieces of glass are pricey...very pricey! Most of the pieces at Habitat are of known artists so the price tags range from $4,000 to $80,000! I enjoyed my visit much more than I expected and I encourage other glass skeptics to check out the space!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Of course I was drawn to the pieces that were more sculptural than vessel-like or crafty-decorative.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
and no glass exhibit would be complete without a famous dale chihuly! I think this piece was only $40,000!



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
this piece was very labor intensive to say the least
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
even paintings that are made from glass
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
this one reminded me of an alien monster
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I liked the all the bird pieces of glass on the wall...not as hot on the figure but the birds would make a really cool installation for a wall in your house!



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
crazy small, delicate glass work! again, I am not into the figures in the piece I like the small model feel...Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



delicate flower detail!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
yes...even adorable glass puppies...ok, this was not a winner with me!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



OK, no comment - use your imagination!

7 Comments:

Blogger art blogs are fun said...

oops...I accidentally double posted this and then deleted the one that had the comments. If you had a comment please re-post if you want. sorry :)

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ann,

Where is Habitat?

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The figure w/ the birds totally reminds me of a Kiki Smith piece. I like it.

10:18 AM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

hey kristin,
it is in royal oak - 4400 Fernlee

it is off of 14 mile just east of coolige in a very industrial area

1:55 PM  
Blogger John Azoni said...

I would be leary to throw down thousands of dollars on a piece of glass work. I'd be too afraid of breaking it, or damaging it somehow. I wouldn't want to own anything too fragile. Then again, I'm not a fan of glass work, but the birds were pretty interesting.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glass art is clearly a pane. Its not all its cracked up to be.

Budump Bump.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good show

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home