Sunday, January 01, 2006

whitney biennial preview...

I have started to check out artists for the upcoming Whitney Biennial. It is somewhat difficult to really get a sense of what the artist is fully about by just some images online...but at  least you can narrow down what media they use. The images below are from Todd Norsten - printmaker/painter. You can see more images and a bio here. I am especially fond of the bleeding snowman, pumpkin heads, and teeth!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but it looks like another exhibition of art that looks like it should be art but we aren't sure if it is art. But then again that is the Whitney isn't it? It is difficult for me to get sold on stuff like this. I feel like the artist has latched onto something he or she has seen elseware and is riding the coat-tails of another idea. Although I do have to see more to really get an informed opinion, but at first glance I am always skeptical of "arty" looking work. Jeff

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, it looks like a lot of other stuff. but it's stuff i like to look at.

also noticed he went to yale -- which in one of jerry saltz's articles, was mentioned as a prerequisite to art success in nyc.

thanks for doing the grunt work on this for all of us ann.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The teeth are kinda cute, as is all of this work. If you like the teeth, check out Ellen Gallagher; she's got paintings that really bite

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah and I saw that show in NY...it's good stuff. Cohen and Leslie show some nice work. The word paintings remind me of Chris Wool...I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Jeff...I'm curious who you're looking at these days.

I can't help but wonder if being good at making things look like art isn't just another way of making art...I'm not convinced it's a bad thing. I think I make things that look like art all the time...and some of it actually is.

-Nolan

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home