Sunday, August 20, 2006

summer reading

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I think I found the perfect summer read: De Kooning's Bicycle: Artists and Writers in the Hamptons. I started this book while up north and it was easy to dive into and had a complimentary feel for last days of summer. Now I really want to visit the hamptons! Above and below are by artist Fairfield Porter. Porter was older than the abstract expressionists but shared the same friends and lived in the hamptons year round. Porter had family money which helped make his lifestyle possible. His great-grandfather basically built downtown chicago and started Porter Reality. Looking at the images you can see how influenced Katz was with Porter.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann, I recommend an excellent book,

Art in Its Own Terms: Selected Criticism, 1935-1975 by Fairfield Porter and Rackstraw Downes.

This is a collection of art reviews and criticism that Porter wrote and published in art magazines, especially ArtNews. His reviews are wonderful----crisp,clear, and to the point.....just like his paintings.

He was one of the artists I studied intently when in art school. At the time I was figurative expressionist; my goal was to blend the best of AB EX with recognizable images.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't want to visit the Hamptoms.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why?

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

painting #3 makes me miss my oil paints. And sad that I could never ever handle wet color like that.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home