Saturday, June 24, 2006

gallery project: first anniversary

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Happy one year anniversary gallery project! Thanks for being such a consistently great place to see art and for keeping diverse shows with unique themes! Keep up the good work and we detroiters will continue to make our way out to ann arbor! By the way, I love ann arbor in the summer...you can't go wrong with a great meal, some shopping, an art opening and then a drink and pinball after! I will tell you again...if you haven't made it out to ann arbor yet...what are you waiting for?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
brian nelson
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
peter williams
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
dan gay
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
dan gay
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
rocco depietro
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
andrew thompson- a month of uniforms. a month-long process of constructing a new set of clothes everyday before going to work.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
gloria pritschet
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
kristin beaver
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
dick goody
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
michelle bowers
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
mike richison - this back room was a favorite for me!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
jack summers
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
matt gordon
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
matt gordon
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
rocco depietro
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
matt gordon
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
brian nelson
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
kristin beaver
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
bobby campbell and jim cogswell
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
lisa steichmann
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
renata palubinskas
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
zachary schafer
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ken brown
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ed fraga
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ed fraga
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ed fraga
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
 For anyone who really knows me, knows that I am food obsessed...and especially when in ann arbor I like to see how many places I can eat. I started out with a super hot dog because I have been craving a good dog for probably over a year now! So I ate at Red Hot Lovers - ann arbor's famous hot dog place,   and then ended up getting a chili dog and some fries after eating the first one. Then I went to Jerusalem Garden where I had the best lentil soup around! After the opening I got some yummy raspberry sorbet and looked at the menus of the fancier restaurants as my mouth watered for more!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up, Ann! I have a series of works, photographs, where whenever I go out and have a fine, BEAUTIFUL meal, I whip out my digital camera to record it.

This action embarrasses my teen-age daughter to death, but I am compelled to do so!

Great looking hot dog.....but have you ever had one from the Lafayette Coney Island?

2:52 PM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

Gilda,
HAhahahaah! Yes, I am guilty too - I do the same thing...when I eat a great meal I always take a pic! A while back I thought about starting a blog where I would take pics of what I ate in a day!

Yes, I have eated there...yummy although I always prefer a hotdog on a grill outside! Today I made fajatas on the grill...oh, my goddness....heaven!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only difference between you and me, Ann, is that what I eat shows on my hips! and everywhere else!

And you know what, I enjoy the food as much as I enjoy Art! The other day I was treated to a Surf and Turf at Carl's Chop house.....damn the prices, full speed ahead!

It was a glorious extra large lobster tail, with a companion of an extra large medium rare filet mignon. They both melted in my mouth!

I couldnt finish all of the filet, so it was taken home. I had it for lunch the next day in my studio, after taking a break from painting.

That's the way to do it!

Well, I think I have hijacked this thread long enough with my culinary peculiarities!

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps

i couldnt take a picture of it because all of my cameras are in the shop being repaired!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann
could you describe the pieces that Kristin Beaver did? How big are they, and what are those globed forms created? Is there a painting underneath them, or a photograph?

Am very much intrigued by the optical illusion of magnification caused by the glass; is it merely domed or is it a solid piece, like a magnifyier or prism?

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not Ann and I was not there but I would assume that the "dome" form is a poured resin over oil painting. Yes this is a great avenue for KB..

11:34 AM  
Blogger John Azoni said...

mmmmm....food. I wish I had a bigger stomach so I could eat everything.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont think it is poured resin; I have seen vintage photos framed under a similar kind of glass, it magnifies and/or gives an illussion of volume or three dimensionality to the photo.

Kristin, do you post on this blog? could you answer the question? I am sorry, but I am not going to make it to the show to see them in person

2:09 PM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

kristin's pieces consist of:
found paper weights, photos, felt and ribbon.

The figures are photos placed behind the paper weights and then hung on the wall.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont want to be a downer but this is the fourth show i've gone to there and all the names have become familiar and the art at this show in particular wasnt the best by those names and most those names are detroiters/or shown in detroiters and nobody else much goes besides artists and i wont go back cause it wasnt worth the drive and i like matt gordon and dick goody and brian nelson but i left after 5 minutes and i'm not trying to be mean but trying to understand why i felt it wasnt a good show or any of them ive seen now with a few exceptions but even those were works i already saw elsewhere in detroit before.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rose, your comments were heartfelt and honest.

There will always be art-world cliques and groups. If there are curators who have an agenda they will choose from the same group of artists.

What is needed are more venues for more artists and different curators. More variety displayed.

Then the disappointment factor will be lessened.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This show in particular was a one-year retrospective of some of the artists Gallery Project has shown so far. The artists were encouraged to try new or unfamiliar approaches to art making, thus the theme “Experiments”. Rose, you are not the first to suggest that the gallery has shown many of the same artists too often. Rocco and Gloria, who run the gallery, are working really hard to remedy this and have made a huge move in this direction by bringing a load of new artist with new connections on board as collaborators. Also keep in mind that Gallery Project is always looking for submissions for their upcoming themed shows, which are listed at http://www.thegalleryproject.com. Rocco and Gloria are committed to bringing dynamic shows to the area. They have a beautiful space and have had a great first year. They are also actively learning from their mistakes and evolving. If you think you have strong work that fits with a theme contact them and submit it; help make a great gallery better instead of complaining about its shortcomings. I realize it is a haul to Ann Arbor, but Gallery Project is one of the best spaces we have in the area and for all its repetitiveness it has showcased some of the freshest work I have seen in the last year. Don’t give up on them yet!

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann and Gilda, after reading your comments I had to tell you about a food obsessed friend I met in grad school named Sunny Scarlett (real name!) For a year she photographed EVERYTHING she consumed. The piece was presented in filmstrips, one for each day of the year. It was not only great documentation of obsessive behavior but also a fascinating window into somebody else’s world. Until I saw the piece I never knew one person could eat so many Cadbury eggs.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrian, I have often thought of documenting aspects of life like the friend you had in grad school. In addition to the food photos that I do [which I cant IMAGINE ever showing; I think every artist should keep something private!] there are a number of photographic self portraits that I do whenever I see a reflective surface. I have sent some of these to www.mirrorproject.com, along with thousands of other artists who have the same obsession as me!

Also, thanks for your comments about the Gallery Project. I will pass it on to the artists I know.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adrian ive seen kristins cats before and wouldnt consider them experimental but cute which is fine but dont think this was an experimental show where people drop their hair and go out on a limb unless its to get the cat. i wasnt complaining so much as regretting and i dont think more venues change such shows cause i want to go out and really be surprised or startled by the new work and it just wasnt happening here or most anywhere else. so its not roccos fault but the artists arent raising their bars from show to show.

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between the show at Klein's gallery and Kidd, there were 5 local artists represented (that I'm aware of).

They also happened to show nicely alongside the big-timers. Several out-shining them even.

Now, that's laudable.

And, yes, a model for MOCAD,- who've sadly chosen to neglect our artists.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home