Sunday, May 14, 2006

art school confidential

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

First off, don't read this if you want to see this movie. I just saw Art School Confidential and I specifically went into the movie not knowing a thing about it...well, at least till someone told me it had luke warm reviews. Big disappointment! It was one of those movies where you can't wait till the ending and then hope that in the ending it all comes together or reveals that the story was a big joke. The story indeed was a joke on art school and it was hard to watch as teenage girls laughed at every art school pun like drawing the male model in figure drawing class. And if you thought that an "american pie" version of the lead character trying to score with the nude female model needed a little more, why not throw in a thrasher murder plot! There were a few times though when the movie seemed intentional in its hollywood movie making ways and a big spoof but in the end it didn't measure up if that was the angle. The movie was based on a comic book and was also directed by terry zwigoff, maker of Ghost World - a much better movie!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee Ann, I read it anyway! I was going to see it today as my Mother's Day treat.....but I dont know if I want to spend 60 bucks for the tickets and refreshments! Maybe I will wait for it to come out on DVD [considering the reviews, I wont have long to wait!. Might be a better idea to spend the day at Border's buying art mags!

I saw the trailer online and howled! Especially seeing John Malkovich and his triangle paintings.."I was one of the FIRST...."

Sounds like the movie trailer has all of the meat

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone has to make a good Art School Film someday! I have not seen the Confidential yet but was delightfully suprised to see the trailer. I hear from some of my young students that so many kids in Highschool want to be Artists..!
This Film perhaps is tapping into that trend.

11:10 PM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

gilda,
did you end up seeing the movie??

11:13 PM  
Blogger no-where-man said...

http://www.ifctv.com/ifc/insiderNews?CAT0=5827&NID=16490&CLR=orange&BCLR=000000

The only truly exciting movie I saw at Sundance was Terry Zwigoff's "Art School Confidential," which is probably why everyone at Sundance hated it. I suppose it's a personal preference: the festival's darling, "Little Miss Sunshine," which was purchased for over $10 million dollars, is about a cute dysfunctional family. "Art School" is about hideous dysfunctional people...

... Maybe you need to have a similar experience to fully appreciate Zwigoff and Clowes' worldview. Maybe so many people dislike the film because they identify with the students and teachers instead of with Jerome.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Ann, I didnt go. Celebrated Mother's Day by going to Border's and buying art magazines! I DID see a movie though.....bought and watched NANNY MCPHEE, which was a real hoot!

Later I had dinner at Sala Thai with some of my fine arts department collegues.

I think I will wait until ART SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL is out on dvd. My movie budget right now is devoted to next weekend when THE DAVINCI CODE opens.

I loved the book! I love Tom Hanks!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

With the names Clowes and Zwigoff attached to this, I was looking forward to it as much as any other movie coming this summer, but was also quite disappointed .. it was just all too cynical to be funny or terribly entertaining, and the murder plot was simply ridiculous

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home