Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Cy is gay?



Image hosted by Photobucket.com


 Lee Siegal, Slate's art critic reviews Cy Twombly's exhibition (50 years of works on paper) at the Whitney Museum:

 

'You cannot fully understand Twombly's art unless you know that he is gay.  It's often fatuous to reduce an artist to his or her sexuality, but Twombly is working in a tradition that associates homosexuality with an ideal human freedom.  This tradition strives for an art unfettered by purpose, function, or meaning.  You find such a style in Frank O'Hara's casual aimlessness and in John Ashbery's aimless obscurity - both poets think in the strokes of a subtle crayon......"


 

So I guess if an artist has playful, doodles of lines and pictures he or she must be gay?  This review seems absurd and out of nowhere!  I see no correlation between being gay and Twombly's work, unless it is used in the old fashion context of oh, how gay it is to draw with such vigor!




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah um, who cares if he's gay or not. my opinion is that his work sucks. Apollo? what is that crap? who would hang a piece of paper with some adolescent scribbling on it in their home? an untitled white canvas? how bout I just frame a piece of paper and sell that. would you pay 2 euros for that? nope, but maybe I could get 2 million if I prance around the art district with it for fifty years. I see no daring and no risk taking in scribbles passed off as art. what kind of skill is that? I call it con art, as in you've been had you silly sods.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home