Tuesday, July 24, 2007

artist escape

"...Amir H. Fallah, who is also the editor and founder of Beautiful Decay Magazine, exhibits photographs of "forts" that he created with other male L.A. artists.
Fallah and his conspirators got handy, dipping back into their childhood fantasies of making dens out of old blankets and available furniture. Not only do the photographs reveal cool little hangouts, they also dot the i’s and cross art teachers’ t’s with pleasing formal qualities..."
(All 20x20 c-prints) These photographs are so rich in color and texture... and escapism, I love it! Maybe I am just sentimental because as a child I made forts out of an old corduroy couch we had and stayed in there for hours and hours. I think I really thought I would live there forever too until my parents tore it down at the end of the night so they could use there couch and blankets again. Now that I think about it, I was always making self contained environments to live in: don't ask about the igloo I build one winter and went out at night to read magazines in.


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holland: Art imitates life; and life imitates high school.

I came across this Brad Holland quote a couple weeks ago. It helped me come to terms with what's been happening a lot in the current art world (often witnessed here), what another Cranbrook artist described as "it's all so juvenile now."

Maybe Holland should amend it to grade school as well.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happens when we become our own stage moms? When our work does nothing other than smile that pageant smile?

I thought confessional art had dried out, but artists like this and England's choice for Venice this year say, "Perhaps not."

The work posted here smiles at the camera knowingly, as though the artist's own work is the actor to his own paparazzi. Although anything can be deemed "interesting" there are certainly shades of grey. This doesn't register on the scales for me. There's a sleaziness about it to-boot.


I don't like the answers to those questions.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my own take on the issue lately:

life and art are completely unrelated.

art imitates art, period dot.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nah, it is about life. about all of us being in or needing therapy. about an artist's feelings of rejection or unworthiness and all that to be traced back to a womb experience where the unborn child/artist felt it was not wanted by the mother...

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is about the culture of play, and the freedom to express it

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gilda,
People within cultures of humanism or service can still play, and have all the added bonuses of not being isolated within purely reflexive, self-interested realms.

I agree art imitates art, as a reality, but as a benchmark or goal, I find that to be much to easy and boring.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the link between life and art is conversation, not imitation. the forts amazingly cool. they remind me of mike kelly's stuffed animals. an adult remembering something from being a kid and wedging things that happened in between in the piece.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chris: did you see the recent Times article about "kiddults" or the "cult of adult childhood"?

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home