Thursday, July 19, 2007

good curation?

I like this statement about curating by Saltz. I have been to sooo many shows where there isn't a rhyme or reason behind the work up which when you are looking at a big group show definitely helps with the viewing and finding a common ground for the works. I also am a strong believer that less is more and when it comes to more, then make sure it's over the top and intentional.

"The alchemy of good curating amounts to this: sometimes placing one work of art near another makes one and one equal three. Two artworks arranged alchemically leave each intact, transform both and create a third thing. This third thing and the two original things then trigger cascades of thought and reaction; you know things you didn’t know you needed to know until you know them; then you can’t imagine ever not knowing them again. Then these things transform all the other things and thoughts you’ve had. This chain-reaction is thrilling and uncanny..."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my UofM professors said something similar re: the "curation" (or editorial choices) in a book of collected works (poetry, short fiction, etc.) "In a book of 33 poems, the most important one is the 34th". But, of course, each of the 33 must also stand on their own, too. I keep that statement on my office wall.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy.

Saltz is a silly little twit. I can't stand being around him. And I suspect, without having asked him (yet) he hates being around himself as well.

T-shirts like; 'Boring Whore" or "I Propagate Innocuous Commercial Work" are quite fitting.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you can't stand the guy but you are bragging about knowing him. I think that it's pretty safe to say that you don't really know him and that YOU are a silly little twit.

Here's your T-shirt: "I'm with dipshit".

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha. So, saying you know someone means it's name dropping? Is shabby star seeking so deeply rooted that one's mind immediately gravitates there? Seems to be.

I was just taking the wind out of someone everyone fawns over without knowing why, except his notoriety. My point is- meet him, attempt a conversation NOT rooted in self-reflexive art excesses and terrible anecdotes about people more famous than himself, and see how far you get.

I don't brag about knowing any of the people I know- except you, I use your name all the time when I'm dining with the queen.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut up! I’m so sick of meaningless ego rants and unfunny f***ing dribble.
Yeah curators do USE work and put it into a new context… that’s what CAN be important about exhibitions but I think we all should keep art, artists, galleries and curators within perspective. Hopefully artists include enough relevance and meaning that we never require curators or pretentious blowhards to explain what it means to you “as an individual”.
Andrew

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the one hand is the great discussion we could have had about the process and purpose of curation. On the other hand is what we got. Alas.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curation will be a hot topic around here when the DIA reopens. The entire place will have been re-ordered to discuss the collection and allow the average individual into the conversation.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home