Monday, May 21, 2007

The art of discovery: Collis in London

Remember RRR? London artist Susan Collis makes works along these lines where her show "DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP" became a sort of "arts trickery game" where the viewer not only had to find the works but also then had to look even harder to notice the subtle details, like this diamond in a white gold nail below.
Made good (DETAIL)
Coral, black onyx, 18 carat white gold (hallmarked), diamond, silver.
The oyster’s our world
Wooden stepladder, mother of pearl, shell, coral, fresh water pearl, cultured pearls, white opal, diamond

Work on it (DETAIL)

New wooden table, adhesive vinyls

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a real "so what" attitude about this work when I first glanced at it, but after I went to the website and really pored over the pieces individually, I became really intrigued with the cleverness and craftsmanship of the work.

It has encouraged me to seek out the work in person when I can to get the complete measure of it.

Looks like a show made for Hilberry Gallery.....Susanne?

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home