Tuesday, March 27, 2007

windsor biennial




The windsor biennial: I laughed, I cried...I got a little angry... Oh well, maybe next time. As far as the installation goes, I have heard from a couple disgruntled customers. I think that the ropes around sculpture is pretty off-putting if you ask me but seeing an unintentional footstep in steven brown's work was saddening. For any of you that I spoke to at the opening, you know my opinion but for today I am going to play nice. Artists that stood out for me...mira burack, steven brown, melanie manos, zeke moores, sara blakeman, chido johnson. One thing I would have liked to have seen is a more cohesive curation. Most museum shows tend to have themes (whitney biennial) so I would have appreciated an underlying concept and not just picking the best in show (or friends) to participate.





sara blakeman



zeke moores



jack byng

chido johnson





steven brown







matthew blake

mark schwing

mark schwing



dennis jones

melanie manos

mira burack





douglas bedard

mike richison

The museum has some beautiful views of detroit and has been one of those stops that I haven't gotten around to yet so I was pleasantly satisfied visiting canada for the night!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

think the footsteps were intentional.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's what I thought...

2:29 PM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

this is what the artist wrote me:

"...and who walked through the
ash? And who's idea was it to put up a velvet rope?...
The only saving grace is a catalogue that features my
own documentation..."

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chido told me that while they were still setting up, a group of people was allowed into the exhibition. Apparently some of the children were runiing around and damaged his piece (probably the same who damaged Steven Brown's). As a reaction to this the gallery put up the ropes (which also damged the work in their own way.)

I'd love to hear your thoughts Ann, as I got there late and missed you.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

goddamn children.
why cant we just shoot the little fuckers when they do shit like that?

its not right for kids to be walking all over shit thats on the floor.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still think i like the footprints better. love the idea a la Felix Gonzalez-Torres -- where the piece would be obliterated by visitors by the end of the show.

the ropes can definitely go though.

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You left Margaret Parker's hanging piece unlabeled - don't know if that was your intention - the cut fabric columns

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of all the art and artists this questionable curatorial team had to choose from we get this clumsy, amateurish, pedestrian hodge-podge of mediocrity, earnest sophomoric pap and fibbling triteness. Other than Matt Blake (whose very same pieces we've seen around town a couple times now) how could they justify this embarrassment? Biennial??!! It's shows like this that continue to illustrate why the Detroit/Windsor art scene is completely irrelevant to the rest of humanity. The previous Windsor Biennial, though having a few queesy inclusions as well, blew this shit pile conflagration of pointlessness clear out of the (river) water. Geezus...

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

picky picky arent we??

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous sounds like another artist that didn't get in the show. so sorry.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous, as a co-conspirator of the Biennial (so-called or otherwise) I am curious to know if you have anything specific to say? Anything of substance or critical value? I don't suppose you do, but there's a chance, given your ability to form cogent venomous sentences, that you may have something to say.

I would love to hear it, honestly.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

foot prints are cool. they grabbed my attention. dusty orange-yellow lines on the ground are monotonous, and didn't Wolfgang Laib do that same thing except "better?"

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home