Monday, July 31, 2006

NEXT STEP GALLERY

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Artist and gallery/studio owner Kaiser Suidan has a wonderful thing going for him and the artist community. I have to admit that I was unfamiliar with the space and the man behind it, so I was expecting a typical gallery opening or maybe even a little less attended because of the irregularity of shows. Driving up to the building on the dark Ferndale street I could see that this was the place to be! Art-lovers, artists and collectors filled the gallery creating a lot of hot bodies (no air conditioning that night) all anxious to see great art. By the end of the evening everyone spewed into the parking lot to catch a cool breeze. The showing artists were diverse from established detroit artists to young up-and-comers. Along with the helpful curation of MIA director John Cynar, Kaiser had his metal cubes and other wall pieces on display mixed between paintings, drawing, photography and sculpture. And the best part: rumor is that the show made some where around nine grand by the end of the evening. Not bad for this seemingly slow art economy! The next show is predicted to be in October, which if all goes to plan should be a great time to coincide with the mocad opening.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Kaiser Suidan's wall pieces
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
john cynar
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
john azoni
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
jef bourgeau
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
judy eliyas
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
lester johnson
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
stephanie sarris
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
craig paul nowak
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
laurie tennent

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the opening and although it was sweltering, I didnt want to leave! It was the best show....lots of great art and the excitement was undeniable.Gotta say that that it reminded me of Willis Gallery openings back in the day.

Took lots of pictures myself, of the art installations and of so many of my friends. This was the best birthday present I could have had!

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Ok I missed the show. I feel bad. But, Everyone go to MONA and ask Jef to take you in the back room and turn the lights off. My god its so cool. Do it today!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger John Azoni said...

it really was a great show....great time. It was an ecclectic mix of artists but it all pulled together nicely. Towards the end of the night I started to notice the onset of a dance party. that DJ sure was rockin out though. I was happy to see red dots on many of the pieces. what a concept. red dots in detroit.

Gilda I totally didn't know it was your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! hope it was a good one.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Show will be up till September 8th. Gallery will be open Friday and Saturday 12 noon to 5 PM or by appointment. Hope everyone had a great time. So sorry about the heat. The air was on but did not help.

John Cynar

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

same boring lightweights. let's see some more motorcycles pictures

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, John! I wanted to keep it to my self on the actual day because I am really shy

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gilda, this makes you 30 or 31?
I remember your teaching at ccs in the 80's when you were fresh out of middle school

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Gilda! Nice show, great people. Liked the pencil drawings by Jones.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Jesus Toast said...

Hi, I just "found" your blog and wanted to say hi, always nice to find other Detroit bloggers and artists...

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home