Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Art and Fear

I started reading a great little book called "Art and Fear". I actually heard about it at an art night at the Motor City Brew. a couple weeks ago. (See...art night is beneficial, thanks Mr. Detroiter!)

I think I will periodically for FUN, because we all like fun, capture some inspirational quotes. Hey, Detroit artists can use some motivation right?

OPERATING MANUAL FOR NOT QUITTING:

A. Make friends with others who make art, and share your in-progess work with each other frequently.

B. Learn to think (A), rather than the Museum of Modern Art, as the destination of your work. (Look at it this way: If all goes well, MOMA will eventually come to you.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"art and fear" is a fantastic little book that i end up reading whenever i get very frustrated. it was a required course book from one of my sculpture teachers a few years back and have picked it up multiple times. good choice.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Ann,
i'm glad you like it.
I will be running an interview with one of the authors in a few weeks, i'll keep you posted.
keep up the good work
nick
also, if anyone who's read the book, would like to send me comments on it (ie where they first heard of it, how it influenced them, etc) - i am using such comments to set up my interview with author Ted Orland,
thanks N, ws@thedetroiter.com

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that book years ago and it really gave me peace of mind; it's literally a block buster for those of us who are creatively blocked. Another great book to read is, "Trust the Process" by Shaun Mcniff.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home