Wednesday, May 09, 2007

JOHN ROWLAND @ hilberry gallery


I don't know a lot about rowland except that he has ties with the cass corrider movement in the 80's. I would actually like to know more but the gallery doesn't have a bio posted online. I feel disconnected from the art in the show and I don't know if it's because it's just not my thing or that it feels dated and a little on the decorative side for me. If anyone has any more info on the works intent please share. I just keep thinking about angel wings - like the kind a little girl wears in a recital with a leotard, Prince symbols, punctuation marks like in cartoons and Monet lily pads coming alive.


















4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hilberry continues to disappoint. Amazing, that people continue to show up. That's the real question.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the colors were beautiful and the shapes were fun/ky although the materials smelled a little "weird". it did seem a little hoity toity in there. lol

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the work was great fun. and a surprise. detroit never sees enough sculptural work anymore.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

His work kind of reminds me of an earlier show there [way earlier] of Lynda Benglis sculptures. She had done a series of works out of paper, called Lagniappes. Frilly, colorful, irregular shaped. Lots of fun

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home