Sunday, June 11, 2006

lemberg group show

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Last night was an art viewing marathon...and I think I finished the race at 1:00am last night! Between Lemberg, Paul Kotula, CAID, RichRichRich...it was a full night of art! It's funny because the more I go to openings, the more I bump into people I know either from ccs or from the blog. I now seem to get this question a lot, "aren't you going crazy yet doing the blog and going to every opening?" And the answer is most definitely "yes!", but as crazy as I get I still plan on bloggin'. I am starting to feel the effects of bloggin on my painting schedule which worries me a bit. I joked with a friend at RichRichRich that I was going to hold the blog ransom in trade for a show somewhere! Anyway, I will start with pics from the Lemberg group show which I enjoyed very much, maybe because an old acquaintance of mine made it in the show and the james stephens had a piece in it too. It is horrible that I have also gotten hooked on art collecting but it is like clothes shopping: you start at Target but then soon enough you want some Prada! I eyed jacob and james' works for quite some time before I thought, "what am I doing...I can't afford that!" I forgot to take an artist list so I don't remember all the artists listed, but check out the show for yourself!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
james stephens
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
elizabeth murray
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
jacob feige (above, below) Man, I knew jacob when he was here going to cranbrook (graduated in '05)...and now look at him - he is rep'd by lemberg (that isn't too surprising seeing as lemberg is a hostel for cranny grads) and I see he is also at a chelsea ny gallery. Just goes to show you that going to cranbrook can open some doors. Congrats jacob!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great show! Loved the bench.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found it pretty save, nothing challenging. Most of the stuff was shown before, looked like excess inventory. The few new drawings didn't make it better.
The show next door, at Kotula Projects was a disappointment as well.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am tired of hearing safe show, or otherwise. People need to say a little more, they need to qualify what they say a little more. To say a show is good or bad or safe is not saying anything they are just words. The best you could do with that statement is to next ask the question. What is good or safe in comparison to what? What is the baseline. these words have no meaning. It is fine if the work doesn't challenge you (SOme artists could care less if you are challenged or not) not all work needs to speak to you, I know it doesn't to me, but all of our comments have to be a little more specific and thought out. I also think it is a good thing to state what you feel is lacking in a work or what is missing ,but tired old "corporate, safe, bad," or good shouldn't cut it for you. just my opinion, of course

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe most of these works were brand-spanking-new, never before seen out of the artists' studios, so if you'd seen them before you've got one up on most of us. At least a couple of the artists were new to the gallery.

What's so safe about a pink house at Kotula?

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home