Sunday, March 25, 2007

oh...la....

Like a breath of fresh air this morning.... Here's another one of those articles in the NY Times about why LA is the new NY.

"...Two decades after Los Angeles emerged as the nation’s second art capital, the city is reaping the benefits of a migration of artists, galleries, dealers and curators. In recent years more than two artists have moved to this city for every one that moved away, a net rate of gain that is higher than in any metropolitan area in the country...

'I couldn’t afford to live in New York no matter what, not even in Brooklyn,' she said. 'I’m able to have space here. I make very large work, and it’s very expensive to make.'"

Whenever I tell people I am moving to LA they tend to wrinkle their noses and say, "eee...LA?" Like it is a death sentence to plastic surgery and valley-girl syndrome but more and more LA is really getting a name for its art world. I wonder if any other detroit artists are considering LA over NY?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, move to L.A. over NY! It has so much more to offer and the nice weather and geography is fantastic. If you live in L.A. your 45 minutes from the dessert, mountains, and beach.

I went to grad school out in L.A. and now I'm headed back to live in San Francisco two months from now and while the art scene can be vibrant, its way too small.

I'll miss Detroit but you gotta do what you gotta do. Detroit is way to depressing right now.

Oh yeah, the gallery scene in L.A. is very eclectic in terms of established venues and project spaces that people open up. Being the center of popular culture and movies you get the sense that anything is possible and the resources for materials and props is awesome.

Don't listen to what anyone says about L.A. Sure the traffic is brutal but the positives far out weigh the negatives. I'm looking forward to getting back there from time to time from Dan Fran. I have friends who never left after grad school and are doing well.

7:18 PM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

cool brian, we will have to stay in touch!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

See ya in LA. 2008-ish.

-ian swanson

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home