Sunday, January 14, 2007

DAM All-Media

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's DAM's 75th anniversary show and considering detroit's shaky gallery circuit reputation, it is a fine bragging right to have stayed running for so long! I have only come to know DAM in the last eight years but I have heard many of the older artists tell their tales of DAM even before it was located on woodward. (Wow...I just realized that I have been in the art scene for much longer than it seems.) I know that a gallery has to grow with the times to stay alive but I still miss the early days that I knew at DAM when there were some tighter curated shows back when Aaron Timlin was still in charge. I am not sure of the status now, and if they have found a stable replacement but DAM sometimes feels like it is just trying to stay afloat.
I am just getting tired of seeing big group shows in detroit: I don't think it benefits anyone. I remember going to a lecture at the DIA where Mitch Cope voiced his grievance with the same issue. You can still have group shows but keep it to a very small number of artists so it is a cohesive show. It starts to feel crafty and the work seems less important when there is too much to look at. Think about ny, la, miami...they keep their important shows very minimal and the work is much more valued, important and easier to view because of this.
I was curious to see this show because of the currently high profile juror Marsha Miro, director of MOCAD, chosen to select work. I don't know how many artists submitted and what the work was like but I think Miro could have edited more pieces out of this show. I was disappointed to see so much work hung salon style in the gallery.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
judy enright
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
sue carman-vian
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
jim nawara
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
christopher crowder - "third place"
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
beili liu - "best of show"
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
julia de clerck
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
russ orlando - "second place"
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
paul mungar
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
judith peebles
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ryan simmons - "honorable mention"
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ian swanson
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
rick vian
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree that DAM shows can be lacking sometimes. I haven't seen this show yet so I can't really judge but they tend to be really crafty. And with a sales gallery complete with jewelry and decorative paintings and more craft objects...it seems to be the product of not a lot of funding. Dont' get me wrong though, I think DAM has done a lot for the Detroit art scene and I'm glad to see it reach it's 75th year. But the shows could benifit from less artists and less safe work.

On a seperate note it seems there is a trend with using these nylon stuffed sacs. I wonder if it's just a Detroit thing, or if this is a growing use of this material. Sort of like mini ornesto nettos.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The artist market under aaron did some interesting specific shows but the gallery was dying.

I havent seen the current show either but from ann's pictures and commentary i have to agree that the salon style of hanging is bothersome. Too much work. It would have been much better to do this show in two parts rather than crowd it.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would help to understand the history of the Artist Market if everyone read this book----

Detroit Artists Market 1932-1982: A Partnership in Creativity (Paperback) by Marilyn L. Wheaton, et al.

It is available on Amazon, and may still be available at the gallery.

One of the most interesting points is the fact that the identity of the gallery was influenced by each Director. Aaron Timlin's mark should be acknowledged within the context of all of the previous directors.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happened to the design show?!

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, we are in agreement.

Allison, you are right in this, that every way of showing has advantages and disadvantages. I'm sure many people would love to think that the DAM is being very altruistic here and trying to expose as many artsists as possible, showing them alongside some more established ones. Honestly it's much more likely that they are trying to sell as much as possible and so show a wide range in order to have a more varying price list. Smaller shows expose less artists, but at least they give the one's they do a chance to do it right.

No matter the intention I'm glad you got some exposure. On the other hand, it's kind of shitty exposure. Personally I am no advocate for the "show wherever you can" mentality. Have some self respect. Don't show unless you know your work is going to look good in the space with the others showing.

No piece can be viewed individually. This cluster-fuck style of hanging kills the work. I mean it really destroys most of it's significance. It's almost the same situation as looking at the work in a magazine. Sure you get a nice introduction but you still haven't seen it.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw the show...it was really bad...there were some great pieces, but overall...nope

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You can still have group shows .... less important when there is too much to look at.((cover your eyes OH NO)))...Think about ny, la, miami...they keep their important((who decides what is important Mr. ARt Hitler)) shows very minimal and the work is much more valued, important and easier to view because of this."

For one; this was a 75 anniversary show...

I think it was interesting to see all the different Artists from the area...the last select Artist show I went to...I was in and out...BORING....I spent a long time looking around this opening...

Art Shows do not require that "you" like everything there....


WHAT KIND OF GENERIC COMMENT IS THIS ???

ART Has no RULES.....
and the point of the artist market is....exactly it's name....a market for the Art's Community of Detroit.....that means it's public not private....
Community Arts are way cooler and way more interesting than HIGH SOCIETY Snooty Tooty....wanna be REAL Deal .....trying to keep up with rat race BS.....

I am one of the underground artists unkown ....grew up in DETROIT....and some formal arts education....I think that your opinion of art in General sounds like a sales pitch....whoever you are .....you obviously don't know me.....I've been making art for over 20 years in Detroit...and I have only the few paintings I am working on in my basement: the rest are all hung on walls all over the country but mostly in the METRO area.....

Don't be a hater ....be a collaborater....don't be a procrastinater....be a creater

I mean you obviously spend more time on these message boards than making art.....

I have seen you....I know who you are....and I have reserved any commments for the several years ...I stood over your shoulder painting on my easel...while you wasted time ...complaining about things that other people have done....I saw the show you curated ....and I not being hippicrit....I will place a POSITIVE comment....about the ONE piece that I liked....it was still worth going....
LOOK you don't like the Artist Market.....where is your Gallery ???...Where is your ART ???
Do you make your Art based on what they are doing in New York, Chicago and elsewhere....HOW FAKE...Art is Real.....REAL art is all inspired by real life...If you live on this message board as much as I know you do ....you are not living enough real life to make credible work....

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home