Saturday, December 02, 2006

what's happening at MONA

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
These first images are from the MIA and MONA: a collection of past works.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I like this three piece grouping a lot...I know all too well the business of people selecting art only based on size...so this piece comes in sm, med, or lg masterpiece! I think I will take all three - one for papa bear, mama bear and baby bear!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the only remnant from the Stella Vine show.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
These pictures (above and all below) are from the Plan B Gallery below MONA. The show was put together by by candace o'leary, and juried by canadian curator claude baillargeon (who curated the meadow brook photography show on eco-earth) and all the participating artists are in their early twenties, and this is their first public exhibition. In some of the work it is apparent that the artists are early in their careers but there are a few jewels in the show.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Kelly Fitzsimmons: "She built walls to tear them down" photography/found art installation
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Adam Trunoske: "Untitled" photography
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i especially like the photos of the volvo. as good as anything i've seen from doug aitken.

11:34 AM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

http://www.artnet.com/artwork/424517930/doug-aitken-ultraviolet.html

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the opening. And the b&w painting rocked my world. The spattering made it really dense in person, almost 3D.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will be a closing reception for this show on Saturday December 16th, from 3 to 6pm.
Come and meet the artists!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so great to see great stuff coming from another school other than ccs and cranbrook and wayne and u of m. A lot of talent in this corner of the state. Where's it gonna take us all?! I can't wait to see.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i came across a kippenberger painting that reminded me of the red one here. not that they're that much alike just that the colors and application seem to jibe. made me think success all has to do with location, location, location. and a good gallery to promote you.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This stuff is whack! A good show. And all unknowns. Who could ask for more. Only a few weak peeces. I've been back twice. Second time with some friends and my old lady. She likd the rabbit video. Maybe that means something.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw some paintings here by someone named Giusseppe. I liked them better in photos, than in person. In person they seemed to be missing depth I guess. And then they had text and other elements that seemed to be pulled from a textbook how-to. I'm not saying they were bad at all. Just not mature yet I guess. Having some potential but not there. Maybe too hurried to finish for a project or something. Not that I'm saying they should be over-worked either.
Just a few thoughts on a pretty good show.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

saw this show thanks to ann's posting. never heard of any of 'em before so wanted to check the new competition. good to get the word up from ann.
also i've heard that detroit is gonna lose 2 (count 'em) important art figures in the coming year.
mitch cope and ann gordon.

say it isn't so!
who's to replace them?!

2 more holes in the ol' art fabric! wearing pretty thin already.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitch, yes! Ann, no!

How can we keep her?! What's going down with her?!

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe we could all get some sort of petition going to convince ann not to give up the blog if anyone is game for it.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the story with Mitch? I can't believe he's leaving MOCAD with all the work he's invested there. Some stupid rumor I'm guessing.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard he's miserable and just wants out.

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually looking at Guston when I did those pieces, Kippenberger never even crossed my mind. As for being hurried or rushed, thats how I paint, I like to get my ideas out fast. As for the concept it gets kind of long, if you really want to know I'll tell you.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home