Saturday, June 10, 2006

555 alchemy show

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Last night kicked off the opening preview and auction for the 555/4731 Urban Alchemy show. Above are some of the doors that were auctioned off. I have to say that the shows at 555 and 4731 are some what unpredictable in what you will see. I have seen some really great shows and also poorly put together shows there. Happily enough, tonight was a great time...and a lot of stunning art! If you have been fooled by 555/4731 in the past this is a show to fit into your saturday night line up!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the main room of 555
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This piece was on the huge wall as you came up the stairs - I didn't see a name tag but I really liked this one.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Phaedra Robinson had an installation in this back corner of the gallery. I think that this piece worked so much better for me than her solo show at meadowbrook. For me the enclosed space allowed for the viewer to experience the work all in one breath instead of random pieces scattered throughout a gallery. I like where phaedra is going with this!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
victor pytko (above reminds me of gordon newton)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
gotta love that texture!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And the gold medal prize for the show was clint snider's installation of dipped found objects! This piece is amazing...I think this piece would be great for the mocad inaugural show??
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I didn't catch the name of this artist...but I like the Godzilla effect as you walk into the path between houses.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
These are a couple new pieces by scott hocking. It is nice to see progression. The drawings are done by sharpie marker and then put into a found frame - sorry about the image quality for this one but go see the show for yourself!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so the curators get some credit for putting together the show at 555 Anne Fracassa and Gail mally-mack did a great job http://www.555arts.org/

1:03 PM  
Blogger cmcgraw said...

clint's piece is awesome

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is 555 closing?

10:13 PM  
Blogger art blogs are fun said...

I heard that it is in trouble of closing...??? Maybe john can clear that up for us?

9:46 AM  
Blogger John Azoni said...

um...well I don't intern there anymore and I haven't really done a great job of keeping in touch, so your guess is as good as mine. However, I do know that for the time I was there they were having a lot of financial trouble, so it wouldn't surprise me to know that they were in danger. There was a period of a few weeks where they couldn't afford to buy anymore drywall to continue building projects. People don't really buy work out of 555, or at least they didn't when I was there. A few pieces here and there, but nothing significant. I never really noticed any big time collectors at the openings. None of this is a cut down of 555, as I support what they do, but that's just what I observed. They aren't a commercial gallery anyway, so all that is to be expected.

unfortunatley that's all I can really tell you. Like I said, I don't intern there anymore.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home